Sunday, March 17, 2013

Stylin'

Art deco


    • Architecture
Just as in almost every single artistic movement which contained architecture, the architecture doesn't say anything to me nor do I see why it belongs to certain movement, in this case, Art Deco, except for the usage of rectilinear lines, but then again, brutalism and many other did as well and more even. The Chrysler building, the paramount, castro, seantor, alamada theaters and so on do not resemble even in the slightest bit to what we can see art deco is through design, sculpture, fashion, painting, etc. They are striking in some ways, they are great and I'm sure, for the times, they look different, but they're not beautiful.







    • Design
In Art Deco design you can get more of a taste of what Art Deco really is, although, it fails to fullfil the description of rectilinear lines. Also, as this is more functional and it could've part of people's daily life, this is probably the most emblematic and representational of the movement and what it stood for.








    • Sculpture
In general, Art deco sculptures look very simple and not complicated because of the non-stop lines from top to bottom even in men and animals. I think that is probably more what they meant as a definition of what Art deco is. Not so much as straight rectilinear lines, but non-interrupted lines in very stylish beautiful desings and forms, just as we can see in most of these sculptures, and most of the buildings as well in fact. There aren't too many cuts or turns to the lines and some of them stretch from top to bottom of the buildings such as El Moro in mexico city which I've seen since I used to live there. Although, when I saw it I didn't know what Art Deco was and I didn't pay that much attention to it.











    • Painting
These painters were probably quite rich or just tamara de Lempicka, and I say this because Bugattis have always been a very expensive exotic luxurious type of car, and example of this is that they are the makers of the Veyron which was from 2005 to 2011 the fastest production car in the world until the arrival of the Koeniggsegg Agera R. The car she is on her self portait is in fact a Bugatti Type 57 from 1937.



In any case, the Art Deco paintings are a bit odd and abstract but I like them, although, again I cannot see the real relation to the movement Although as always there are some exceptions like the portrait of marquis sommi and the musician and Adam and Eve by Tamara de Lempicka.

















Harlem renaissance

It is quite sad that all of that potential was always opressed throughout the years and so many years. White americans have never had quite so much feel or rythm when it comes to dancing or music, even Latins do but mostly blck people have that skill and natural talent. It is just bred in their DNA that the music moves them and they have more of a rythm and a better ear. Of course, I'm not denying the fact that Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers or Bob Fosse are just amazing in every way, but its just a fact that black cultures have that natural talent when it comes to dancing.






The evolution of Jazz

Throughout these years (1920s-30s) Jazz was the dominant and most important music and movement in the United-States. It changed so much about society and its repercussions and far more than we can mention. There would be no US without the African-American influence and it would be so much different without the Jazz. I think  its safe to say that more people know who Louis Armstrong, Cole Porter or Bing Crosby are than most of United State's presidents. This probably were US at its better days. Jazz made or helped made the bond between Black and white cultures. There is so much to say about it I don't know what to say.

I'm not personally very knowledgeable when it comes to Jazz but I do like it a lot and I do know some of it and I love everything I've seen, I don't think I have seen something of Jazz or blues and don't like it, and it goes from musicals and songs to choreographies.

I also love Frank Sinatra for having a Jaguar E-type which is one of my favourite classic cars. He loved it so much that when it was revealed in 1961 in the Gevena motorshow he said "I want that car and I want it now"




No comments:

Post a Comment