Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cubism

Picasso and Braque

Although Picasso's paintings are intensely creative and they look very amazing and that they took a lot of work, I think this was an overrated movement (cubism). Because the shapes are basic, they don't require too much skill. I've been told that making a Picasso replica is very easy indeed since you only have to draw the boxes and them fill them with color. 
I'm not saying I don't like it, though, I do like the paintings and the effect that the squares and shapes create because it looks most of the times aggresive and harsh, but yes it probably is overrated, or maybe not, but there is no getting away from the fact that they are very easy to make and that they do not require high skills or technique like, say, realism, expressionism, symbolism, etc. Except from the paintings which aren't so cubic, of course, meaning he was a skilled painter. I'm only saying that cubism or cubist paintings weren't so hard.
Picasso's high notoriety and popularity is probably due, as its metioned in the notes, to the fact that he could promote himself and that he lived a public life.

Almost exacly the same goes to Braques' cubist paintings, although, I liked his a bit more. They have more shapes which aren't just straight lines.







Cubist sculpture

Cubist sculptures made by Picasso or Braque are actually more interesting than their cubist paintings. They look, although not too cubist, much more modern than any other sculpture we've seen so far. 
That being said, I liked them but I think still not too much work, creativity a lot, difficulty, not so much (except for the women's head), especially the paper sculptures and the ones made with off cuts of wood.



No comments:

Post a Comment